Friday, September 4, 2009

DISC Wars

After much procrastination, Thursday night saw an trackie virgin make the leap with Leapin', spend a bob with Bob, and get daring with Darren. Having had a pretty slow couple of months on the bike and looking for a chance to get out of cooking dinner for the kids, I decide at the last minute to make the trek across town to DISC.

First, steal my daughters track bike - she's not home so that is easy.
Second, find someone to drive me to DISC. Leaping? No go as he is already on the wrong side of town; Darren? Bingo, he not far away and heading in the wrong direction but being a flexible chap he turns around and comeback to get me (thks). Bob then calls and wants to know why I haven't asked him for a lift - news travels fast in the world of track cycling.
Quick adjustment of pedals and seat sees me ready and rearing to go as the others more slowly get themselves and their gear in order - knowing that I had no races to worry about means I can spend as much energy as I like in the warm up.

Round and round and round, she goes, how I stop, god only knows? There are no instructions on the handlebars of the track bike and, more to the point, there are no brakes. I start out tentatively, staying down low and out of the way of the really, really fast people who are finishing their training session before the next session begins. Once they are done I follow some of the others up onto the boards - all a little scary but I quite quickly get the hang of holding my line and not stopping pedalling - actually I only try this once and it is more than a little disconcerting. I feel like Grasshopper waiting for the instruction of the old Master Po and just like poor Grasshopper the instructions never come? I simply have to learn by doing and watching and maybe some more doing.





Pretty soon I find a nice steady pace-line which I latch onto the back of, sitting a comfortable half bike length off the back. All going OK, but when someone else drops in behind me I wonder whether it is clear that I'm a learner and whether I should have some "L" plates on the back of my seat. "Be predictable" I hear from the many voices in my head - was this the spirit of Leaping speaking to me? Nah, Leaping is never predictable, must be Sensei Beattie, who isn't even in the building . "Yes Master, I can do that".

Master Po and Grasshopper



Round and round and "oh no, what is happening now?" The bloke who has safely lead the group for many laps has swung up and I'm closer to the front, and now the next - "watch what they do, learn by watching" - and now then next and I'm on the front. Do a lap, not ready to swing up, do another one, this can't be that hard I think - check over the shoulder, wait til the end of the straight, flick the elbow and up the bank I go - phew - safely out of the way, but now I'm up the bank I realise that I hadn't watched this bit as I had been busy in the paceline. Well they just swing down again, don't they? Glance to the left and I realise that the line is longer than I had realised so swing back down now is not the go, stay up on that steep bank and keep pedalling, but slow down a little and wait for the back of the group to come by - phew, safely around the bend and on to the back straight and relative safety.

The pace picks up and I remember that I haven't switch the gearing from the limited roll-out of my 12 yr old daughter so very quickly my legs are spinning out. Time for a break, but how do I get off the track? Accelerating is fine but decelerating can hurt a lot more. Back into the infield and a few words of wisdom from Master Ping and finally Bob arrives. The team seem a little subdued this evening, perhaps feeling the effects of heavy workloads or training programs. Quick change of rear cog (there is only one) to give me some more go forward and back out on the track. There are more people out here now, travelling at different speeds - some slower than me, other much faster. I seek out the familiar wheels of Sims and Beattie but as you all know the wheel of Sims is never an easy one to follow and even Bob blows me off with an acceleration. Having latched onto the back of a fast train I become concerned about being able to hold the pace but manage to make it through my turn and escape out the back with pride and body in tact.

Soon the whistle blows and the warm-up comes to an end - for me the end of the riding - for the others the fun has just begun.

The evening comprises of :
  • Scratch Race
  • Points Race
  • and whatever it is called when the Derny buzzes around the track for a while then leaves the pack to sprint out the last few laps.

Newbies enjoy the night




And speaking of newbies we were luck enough to see Bob's newest outfit and bike:


Soon it is all over and bikes are packed up again, we have a chat with Sir Jack (Leon's dad), the gentleman of the stands and head off for an relaxing drink at a local restaurant.

So, what is the outcome? Track is something that I would like to master and soon I will return and have a race or two, but to be honest the time and distance does put a dampener on the activity. Just as well I had great company to make the night go by fast. I hope to see some more of you "On the Boards" soon.

3 comments:

Leon Sims said...

Noyce report Kiwi - made me laugh.
You did real good.
Leaping

Darren Eger said...

Track force be with you, may it be.....yes
See you racing soon, we will
Learned you lessons well, you have
Stop pedaling, you shouldn't
Stop pedaling, you didn't
Done well you have young kiwi......hmmmmmm

Leon Sims said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????