Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Old Cycling Signs

A Sign with a story.
During the latter part of the week, I drove over to spend some time with my father at the indoor velodrome on the other side of Melbourne from where I live. I may have mentioned in past posts that Jack is now 89 years old and still enjoys cycling five days a week at the local cycling track. He loves the sport and joined the Northcote Cycling Club in the 30s.

About 3 decades later I also took up the sport as a member of the Preston Cycling Club. A friend of mine who was a member of the Northcote club invited me down to the local Northcote bike shop, The shop was also the Club's registered club rooms. I was introduced to the President of the Club and he said, "You must be Jack Sims' young bloke. I may have something here for you."
IMG_6396.JPG-2010-10-13-18-46.jpg
The sign appeared as I was waiting in traffic and it sparked memories of the past.
Looking through some old files, he then pulled out a membership form that just happen to be my father's.

DSCF7677.JPG-2010-10-13-18-46.jpg
The "old man's" membership application from 1938.
The sign above is all the remains of the old Northcote Bike shop and the Club's club rooms. It has been hidden for years by a taller building which recently was demolished to make way for an even higher apartment block. The sign will once again disappear soon. I'm glad I just happen to be there at the right time.

Reply from Ramon
And it is only almost 41 years ago when I rode my track bike from West
Heidelberg to Northcote (no brakes and no lights) to attend Northcote club
meetings at the rear of the bike shop. Jack Whincup was the president.

I had already met you Leon at the track training nights with Alex Weston at
Northcote velodrome, and this was a year and a half before the 1971 road
season when I first met Bob B and Nico.

Do you have to post such information? It makes me feel melancholy and really
old.

Ramon. LOL

3 comments:

Darren Eger said...

Keep'm coming Leaping. Love reading about this stuff. Keep joing the dots.
Darren

Darren Eger said...

Dang! I meant 'joining' the dots.

Bayside Bandido said...

Well spotted Leaping - it is amazing to see living fossils - the building sign I mean.

Keep the fantastic stories coming - they are part of our history.