Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Old bike tracks

Last weekend Sue and I were in Beechworth.
Being the velodrome slueth that I am I found two unused velodromes, well tracks really. In most country towns there was usually a track, mainly around the perimeter of the sports oval.
I discovered two last weekend on our travels.
The first was in Beechworth - I thought that I might discover one there so I did a google earth search first and thought, yep must have been one there. And there was.



Beechworth's track initially would have been a gravel track.
Theres just a slight banking where the track use to be - can ya see it, can ya ???



Way back I raced on gravel tracks - Wangaratta had one and the water truck would spray the track and then another vehicle would çompact the surface ready for us to race on it.
 The other was in Seymour on our way home. We took a wrong turn, must have been fate really, and there it was - another unused velodrome. How do these tracks find me????


The Seymour track infact was a hard surface of black stuff. A road surface but since the lack of use over the years, it looks like the local council have grassed the surface. Using a bit of imagination, you can still see where it was.

I have more of this trivia stored away but you have to let me know if you want more by leaving a comment. Can you do that?
Leaping Leon of Lycra Legend Fame.

2 comments:

Darren Eger said...

"excuse me sir, can I have some more please"?
Love it Leaping. Keep'm coming.
Darren

Huzza The Wazza said...

yeah - that is a amazing Leon - how about a book on all of this one day !