Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Cage and Old Cycling Magazines

The CAGE is at DISC, Darebin International Sports Centre. It's the home of Cycling and Lawn Bowls - they go so well together, don't you think????
From now and until next summer, a few of us Didos will spend our time at DISC training and racing during these cold winter months. The Cage is run by an old mate (well he's actually younger than me, then who isn't), Paul Parker. He's helped out Paula, Nico, Cardosi and others amongst myself previously. He's old school but knows more than most have yet to learn. I spent Tuesdays doing squats, dead lifts, swiss ball and other stuff with him as preparation for the 2011 Masters track titles next April.

That's Paul in the Cage where he belongs.

And this is the torture chamber.

Anyway while doing this stuff with Paul I spied in the corner of the Cage some old cycling mags from the past. The USA published these great mags called Winning which I used to buy. Paul loaned me some to read.
They brought back some memories from the time I went to the West Coast in 79 to race. After I read thru them, I'll offer some memories in future blogs. Cycling was huge in the USA in the early 20s and 30s. Its where the Madison evolved at Madison Square Garden. We even had Aussies race there successfully. Cecil Walker from Oz was one of them. You might have seen some Cecil Walker bikes out there on Beach Road.

Check this out - pure nostagia.
I just finished reading about the exploits of one of our great track and 6 day cyclists, Danny Clark last night. Danny was originally from Tassie. I remember meeting him in 68 at the Aussie titles at Wiley Park, Sydney.
From memory, he's probably the third highest winner of 6 day bike races world wide. He won World titles at the age of 36/37 as a stayer. That's following a motor bike against other riders being motor paced at amazing speeds on 250 metre indoor wooden velodromes.
I'm about to go to bed now to read about Greg Lemond - did I tell you I raced against his father? That's another story.

No comments: