The first little hill came after 15kms and I was working hard to stay with a group and we probably lost 5-6 by this point. But the hills really began about 10kms later and from there we pretty much climbed steadily for the next 20kms. Before the race I thought this would be my strength but it only took til about half way up the long hill (~30kms into the 100km total) to realise that all was not well. I missed a few turns and hung on the back and could hear the voice of Phil Liggett saying that this was not the place to be, so I slotted back into the rotation to try and shake myself out of the pain that I was feeling in my lower back. No such luck as I now had heart rate close to red line and the pain had not eased. Another km or two and the bungee snapped and out the back I went.
Once again Liggitt's advice of riding tempo and limiting losses with the hope of getting back on at the top of the hill - little did I know that the group would not easy and the top was still at least 5kms away! By the time I cleared the top of the hill I could feel the cramps coming on and my group were well out of chase distance so I looked behind and down the road I could see the 12 min group approaching. I jumped on and recognised a few of the numbers at the back of the group - the pace in this group was easier than my 15min crew so I figured that unless 12min blew itself up then 12 min wouldn't catch 15min on their own. About 10kms up the road and still more climbing, saw me struggling once again and we were just past half way - as a cramp set in I let hat group go and rode tempo, waiting for 9 min.
As you guessed they came along soon enough and I was able to hold for a while but the pace was higher and my energy and desire was lower, so on a slight up-cline I rolled out the back door again. From here I knew the course had more down hill (but it didn't feel like it), so I set a steady pace working into the wind. Sure enough the next group came, I held and then could stay no longer as the purr of the carbon wheels, the sharpness of the calves and youth in the faces became evident that this was not place for a B grade vet.
As I was approaching the 2hour mark my body was telling me that coffee must be coming soon - note to self: try riding the distance of the race a few times before you race it. Around this time Scratch cam blasting by - all groups before had been working up the road so I was able to accelerate up and by the back of the group I was able to slip in the at the back - not these guys however. To a man they passed within inches of my right side and swung in front leaving me cringing in the gutter (if there was one). No chance in hell of catching a lift there.
The remaining distance was a matter of survival, catching a lift with some dropped rider from groups behind me until I could no longer or offering a wheel to riders that I caught until they could no longer. The sag wagon rolled by as the highway exit approached and tempting as it was (10kms to go) I shook my head. As I turned off the highway I saw in front of me a rider weaving across the road, then he rode off onto the grass and fell off his bike. I stopped and this kid barely knew his name, let along which way was forward. I waited until the next official car came by and flagged it down. Quick handover to a very unsympathetic copper ("shouldda caught the sag wagan") and I was off again. The short rest and having finally turned away from the head wind gave some lift to my heart.
Somewhere around here I noticed how cold I was - just one lap of the lake - 5kms - to finish. Down into tuck position and working hard, especially as the lap took us back into the headwind. Roll in the finish with most riders already there but I was pleased to have finished and was looking forward to warming up. I was just rolling back towards the car (thanks Jenny) when Dave Blake rolls in - huh? - even in my tired state I worked out the Dave had started ahead of me and I had not passed him. Poor Dave had been steered up a side street in to suburbia in the final few kms.
Quick change and into the warmth of the car and off into town to find coffee and chips (and Paula and Emma who had driven up for the Club Team TT the next day). We found the Beechworth bakery (no wonder it seemed like we were riding up into the mountains) with warmth and coffee (but no chips).
Overall I'm pleased that I rode in the 100th version of this race but realise that it is not that wise to take on such challenges without a bit more volume and structure in the training. Another Bandido adventure.
Regards
KIWI
No comments:
Post a Comment